Saturday, December 8, 2012

Roller Coaster Ride #3....not my favorite

Well, Chemo #3 on Tuesday, was not my favorite so far! Kim showed up to drive Kristi and I to Dr Hahm's, and I was feeling icky.  I don't know if it was nerves or something else, but let's just say I was already puiney. I get back to the room and the nurse tries to access my port and it didn't work. She called in another nurse and they couldn't get the sailene to push through the port. Until they get the sailene to push and they are able to draw blood, to know they are in that heart vein, I am unable to get chemo. GREAT! They call in Kim, the PA and she wants me to immediately have that port checked out. She is concerned I am not feeling well because of the issue with the port. So they call the Vascular Surgeon and get me an appointment. I show up and the first thing he tells me is that I may need to have my port replaced...under LOCAL....into my JUGULAR.. If I wasn't scared, freaked out, emotional all ready, that pushed me over the edge. Luckily, Lloyd had rushed over there and was with us. Have I told y'all that Kim can faint at the sight of blood OR the discussion of it? She sure has toughened up, but I still worry about what she sees. Plus, I don't like to fall apart or be scared around the kids. Just not how it is supposed to go down. Anyway, they took me back and under the xray- they accessed my port. It hurt like hell, but they did not see any problems. So I told them to call Dr. Hahm back and while the port was accessed I wanted to go ahead and get chemo over, TODAY!!

So we rushed back to the infusion room and had the chemo- so 3 down 5 f'n more to go!!!
Last night, Christmas and what it means to us this year, hit us pretty hard. We are so lucky! This cancer could have been so much worse. We feel like we dodge a huge bullet and should really be counting our blessings this year! So Merry Christmas to you all- I hope that you are all blessed as much as we are this Christmas Season! I love you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment