Thursday, January 24, 2013

Cancerversary....5 months

So today I had a check up with the surgeon that diagnosed my cancer. I didn't realize it until I was staring at her computer screen, but today marks exactly 5 months since I was sitting in that same exact room waiting to hear those 3 dreaded words. "Yep, it's cancer."  That was 5 months ago, that my life came to a screeching halt and all focus had to be on myself, my support group and survival. I am nearing the end of this dreadful journey, and I have to say I have learned so much. You really don't know how much your life changes when you are faced with your immortality. "Things" don't bother me anymore, because well, how could they when you have such a bigger fish in the fryer. I have also learned alot about people too, I really hope I can be even half the friend that you all have been to me! Your kinds words and actions mean so much to me and brighten my day, when I am sitting here in a painful Taxol coma. You all have taught me that little things you do and say mean so much to someone when they are down. I re-read all of my cards I had received over the past several months, and was once again overwhelmed by the people that took the time to write such inspiring letters. Again, I have learned how important that card or letter is, and hope I can be that special friend, too, when you need me.

I only have two treatments to go...Yay! Last weeks treatment was uneventful. As always- Kimmie picked me up and we showed up with our bag of goodies. Gnomie, my blanket, and Donna's prayer. Cindi has been working and allowing Brittany or Kristi to go with me, while they were home for Christmas, so this week she brought Kimmie and I lunch and sat with us. It was crowded and the man next to us was a little sick and sleepy, so we did behave ourselves...this time. My side effects were bone pain all weekend and a fever on Saturday. Nurse Brittany was here and monitered it for me. At 100.4, I am to call the emergency line at the dr's office, it broke at 100.3- whew, it was a close one. I absolutely did not want to go to the emergency room on a Saturday night with no immune system and all those sick people. My blood count was a little low on chemo day, so I had to go today and have that checked. If is was still low, I was to get the Nulesta shot. Luckily, through the grace of God and my prayer warriors- my blood count had gone up and it looked good. Another YAY!!
I am seeing the light at the end of this dark tunnel and I am ready to begin living life again. I still have reconstruction surgery and my shoulder surgery with 6 months recovery, but I am making plans to mark things off my bucket list. Fly Fishing lessons, a trip to the beach, living my life with the volume turned up and a BIG ASS PARTY to celebrate surviving this journey. When my life settles down I will follow through with my promise to be an avid volunteer for this awesome organization, Loving Arms Cancer Outreach, they offer support, free wigs, bras, prosthesis, rides and monetary support for cancer patients. I also will try my best to get back to the job I love and start "cloud hopping" again!
Thank you all again for being "my army", my friends, my prayer warriors, my everything!  Now, go feel your boobs!
Kept my smile till the bitter end...waiting on the dreaded words- August 24, 2012

What a difference 5 Months has made....Jan. 24


  1. Yea Traci, so close to the end!!!! You have been amazing and have inspired countless people by sharing, so bravely, your journey. You definitely got me back to having a simple mammogram after so many years. You are one of the most brave, uplifting, and beautiful women I know. Miss you and I'm .looking so forward to being with you at "our" mountain again! Love ya, Anne

  2. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?




    1. Cameron,
      I sent you an email, but never heard back from you.